Last updated: 25 January 2021
Personal data we may collect from you
We will obtain personal data from you which includes:
- your full name,
- email address,
- location data/residential/business address,
- contact number,
- Google profile data (optional)
- Facebook profile data (optional)
whenever you sign up on our website to create a user account.
We will obtain your personal information when you sign up as a Learner or Teacher for the purposes of verifying your authenticity and ensuring that you are indeed who you claim to be. We may also obtain sensitive personal data about you if you volunteer it during the completion of the relevant submission forms and we will state clearly the intended purpose and who may access this data with your consent. If you volunteer such information, you will be consenting to our processing it for the purpose of improving and personalizing our learning/self-learning services to you.
We may ask you for personal information such as your payment information (e.g. Credit/Debit Card through our 3rd Party Payment Gateway Service Provider Paypal) if you wish to subscribe and pay for any learning programs/courses that are listed on the Site. If you volunteer such information, you will be consenting to our processing it for the purpose of ensuring the delivery of our services to you. Please note that we will not store any of your Credit/Debit Card Information on our platform but it will simply be used in specific cases when requested to perform a transaction to acquire or enrol to any of our paid learning subscription packages or any one-off payments related to the Vambo Academy online learning service.
We may monitor your use of this Site using cookies and 3rd Party Analytics tracking services such as Google Analytics. We may monitor how many times you visit the site, which pages and page elements you click on, where your data traffic originates from, etc. This information helps us to build a profile of our users and deliver content that is specific and relevant to their needs and based in a specific geographical area. Some of this data will be aggregated or statistical, which means that we will not be able to identify you individually.
How we use your personal data
We will use your personal data for the purposes of allowing Vambo Academy to personalize the experience for you as the user in order to expose you to content that is relevant to the data related to your profile & preferences.
Some of the intended purposes of how your data will be used on the Site include:
- Helping us identify you and any accounts you hold with us;
- Student/Teacher Account and Profile;
- Market Research& Insights, Statistical Evaluation and User Demand Analysis;
- user profiling and analyzing learning preferences;
- Targeted Vambo Academy Marketing— see ‘Marketing and Opting out’ below;
- Fraud Detection and Prevention;
- Billing, Payments and Subscription fulfilment;
- Customizing the site and its content to your unique preferences;
- To notify you of any changes to the site, or our Services, which may affect you;
- Security Vetting;
- Improving our Services;
Marketing and Opting out
If you have given permission, we may contact you by email, SMS, text/picture/video message (MMS) or through any other applicable communication method. These communications may be related to products, services, promotions, special offers or charitable causes, that may be of interest to you. If you prefer not to receive any direct marketing communications from us, you can opt-out at any time. See further ‘Your rights’, below.
Disclosure of your personal data
We may disclose your personal data to and/or for:
- For the Teachers/Admins to determine the authenticity of the various Teachers/Admins on our Site
- For the Students to be able to verify the legitimacy of any registered Learner on our Site;
- Service providers including:
- Facebook – User Account 3rdParty Sign Up/Login Service Provider
- Google Maps – Locations 3rdParty Service Provider
- Google – User Account 3rdParty Sign Up/Login Service Provider
- Google Analytics – Analytics Tracking 3rdParty Service Provider
- Paystack/PayFast/Paypal – Online Payments Gateway 3rdParty Service Provider
- Zoom – Online Video Conferencing Platform 3rdParty Service Provider
- Credit Reference Agents— see ‘Credit checking’ below;
- Law Enforcement Agencies (in connection with any investigation to help prevent unlawful activity on or from our Site or Service);
- Our Business Partners (in accordance with the ‘Marketing and opting out’ section above);
How we share your data with other users
- Vambo Academy allows you to conduct self-learning through our platform. When you choose to enrol in any paid learning subscription service, your personal information (Full name, email address or profile) and contact details (mobile number, WhatsApp number, etc) for that particular learning subscription become available until the subscription is either:
- Cancelled/Rejected, or
Keeping your data secure
We will use technical and organizational measures to safeguard your personal data, for example:
- Access to your account is controlled by a password and username that are unique to you
- Store your personal data on our secure servers and databases
- Payment details are encrypted using SSL technology and that from the Payment Gateway service providers
Whilst we will make every reasonable effort to safeguard your personal data, you acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason, we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data that are transferred from you or to you via the internet.
We may monitor and record correspondence with you (such as posts or notifications to or from the Site and/or emails) for the purpose of quality assurance, training, fraud prevention and compliance.
To enable us to investigate money laundering, prevent fraudulent activity and make credit decisions about you and any of your relatives who have signed up for our services, we may search the files of credit reference and fraud prevention agencies (who will record the search). We may disclose information about how you conduct your account to such agencies and your information may be linked to records relating to other people living at the same address with whom you are financially linked. Other credit grantors may use this information to make credit decisions about you and the people with whom you are financially associated, as well as for fraud prevention, debtor tracing and money laundering purposes. If you provide false or inaccurate information and we suspect fraud, we will record and report this.
Information about other individuals
If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that you can:
- Give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his/her personal data;
- Receive on his/her behalf any data protection notices;
- Give consent to the transfer of his/her personal data abroad.
We encourage users to never share accounts or login information with other users as you will be held liable for any actions or compromise to your personal data that may occur as a result of allowing another person to access your user account (whether another Student, Teacher, Admin, etc).
Transfers of data out of your country
When you signed up for the provision of learning products or services or subscriptions of this Site you agreed that we may transfer your personal data to countries outside your Country of Residence. Rest assured that we will always ensure any transfer is subject to appropriate security measures to safeguard your personal data.
You have the right, subject to the payment of a small administrative fee, to request access to personal data that we may process about you.
If you wish to exercise this right, you should:
- Put your request in writing;
- Include Proof of your identity and address (e.g. a certified copy of either your Driver’s license/National ID or Passport, and a recent utility bill);
- Specify the personal data you want access to, including any account information or corresponding reference to the data being requested (where applicable).
You have the right to require us to correct any inaccuracies in your data free of charge. If you wish to exercise this right, you should:
- Put your request in writing;
- Provide us with enough information to identify you,g. Username, Email Address, Learner Profile/Teacher Profile (where applicable); and
- Specify the information that is incorrect and what it should be replaced with.
You also have the right to ask us to stop processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. If you wish to exercise this right, you should:
- Put your request in writing (an email sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with a header that says ‘Unsubscribe’ is acceptable);
- Provide us with enough information to identify you, e.g. Username, Email Address, Learner Profile/Teacher Profile (where applicable); and
- If your objection is not to direct marketing generally, but to direct marketing by a channel (e.g. Email or SMS), please specify the channel you are objecting to.
Our contact details
We welcome your feedback and questions. If you wish to contact us, please send an email to email@example.com or you can write to us at the below address or call us on +27 71 086 8116 (Republic of South Africa).