Renamed Places in Zimbabwe
- May 27, 2021
- Posted by: Vambo Academy
- Category: Zimbabwe
Following the country’s Independence in 1980, Zimbabwean spaces and places were renamed to reflect the nation’s new post-colonial identity. New names were chosen using the various conventions. Some places had their names changed to reflect local pronunciation whilst others were completely renamed. Street names adopted the name of local and continental nationalist leaders.
Salisbury to Harare
Initially named after the British Prime Minister Lord Salisbury, the capital city was renamed Harare in 1982. Three prominent theories exist to explain the origin of the name Harare.
Theory 1 – The city was named after Chief Neharawa who ruled over the region in pre-colonial times
Theory 2 – The streets of the city were home to a man who roamed them aimlessly into the night in the 20th century
Theory 3 – The excessive activity in the city dubbed it the city of restlessness and lack of sleep hence the name Harare which is derived from “haarare” which directly translates to “he that does not sleep”
Fort Victoria to Masvingo
Fort Victoria was named after Queen Victoria. The name of the area was briefly changed to Nyanda however the word was pronounced differently among people of different dialects. The area was then called Masvingo which means “forts” in ChiShona.
Sinoia to Chinhoyi
The name Sinoia was changed from Sinoria by the early settlers of the area. The word Sinoria was derived from Tjinoyi – the name of a TjiKalanga Lozwi/Rozwi Chief who was believed to be the grandson of Emperor Netjasike. The name Sinoia was later changed to Chinhoyi by speakers of the Zezuru dialect of ChiShona.
Essexvale to Esigodini
Early European settlers named the area previously inhabited by the Indigenous Rozvi Moyo people Essexvale from 1894. The areas name was changed to Esigodini which means “valley” in the local language IsiNdebele
|Pre-1982 Name||Post-1982 Name|